On November 15, 2018, RISE hosted Women in Trial – A Criminal Justice Perspective, featuring the following distinguished guest speakers:
- Hon. Michelle C. Kim | Los Angeles Superior Court, Formerly with the Alternate Public Defender’s Office
- Allyson Ostrowski | Deputy District Attorney, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office
- Hilary Potashner | Federal Public Defender, Central District of California
- Sarika Kim | Deputy District Attorney, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office
The panelists provided tips and advice about how to succeed as a female trial attorney while maintaining a healthy work-life balance. Civil litigators as well as those in criminal practice found the event helpful and inspiring.
Thank you to Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP for hosting the event at their beautiful office in Downtown Los Angeles.
Learn more about RISE at https://riselawyers.com/
Hon. Michelle C. Kim | Los Angeles Superior Court
Hilary Potashner | Federal Public Defender, Central District of California
Allyson Ostrowski | Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office photography by http://www.hannaharista.com
Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2018
6 pm • Registration, Light Dinner
7:15 pm • Program
POLSINELLI, 2049 Century Park East
Suite 2900, Los Angeles, CA 90067
$25 Registration for AMEC, WLALA, LAIPLA, and ABA Women in IP Action Group members $35 nonmembers
RSVP by Nov. 1: Member code: (Growth)
Grit and growth mindset – characteristics that many successful women attorneys have in
common – may matter more than other measures such as IQ, class rank, or law school. This
program educates participants about the science behind these traits, provides attendees with
tools to assess their levels of grit and growth mindset, and gives practical advice to incorporate
these concepts. We will discuss grit and growth mindset as applied to situations such as
engaging in negotiations, making a pitch, motion practice, and handling a heavy workload.
Ultimately, these traits can be taught and leveraged to enhance the quality and effectiveness
of women lawyers. Come learn from our esteemed panelists as they discuss how they have
utilized grit and growth mindset to overcome obstacles and achieve success.
Speakers: Blair Berk, Tarlow & Berk • Mary Craig Calkins, Kilpatrick Townsend, Moderator
• Julie Shapiro, Endeavor Content • Hon. Jean Rosenbluth, U.S. Magistrate Judge, U.S.
District Court, Central District of California
MCLE: One hour of CA State Bar elimination of bias credit.
Parking in the building for $15.00 after 5 p.m. Westfield Century City Mall parking, one block
away ($3.00 for 1.5 hours, $1.00 every 30 minutes thereafter).
- American Bar Association – Section of Intellectual Property Law, Women in IP Action Group
- AMEC – Media & Entertainment Counsel, Women Who Lead
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association, Women in IP
- Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
Networking, complimentary CLE, and special guest speakers:
Zeina Grenier Head of Music Publishing Business Development, North America | Facebook
Jackie Hayes General Counsel and SVP, Legal & Business Affairs | Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc.
Amy Ruskin VP, Assistant General Counsel | CBS Television Studios
Wednesday, October 3, 2018 | 6-8 pm
Venable LLP | 2049 Century Park East, Suite 2300, Los Angeles, CA 90067
1.0 hour Elimination of Bias CLE | RSVP by 9/26 at http://www.sccla.org
Judge Margaret Nagle | JAMS
Judge Holly Fujie | Los Angeles County Superior Court
(Photography by Dennis Trantham)
Judge Deborah Brazil | Los Angeles County Superior Court
An evening of professional networking, complimentary CLE, and featured speakers:
Hon. Deborah Brazil | Hon. Holly J. Fujie | Hon. Margaret A. Nagle (Ret.)
Wednesday, August 8, 2018 | 6-8 PM
Kasdan LippSmith Weber Turner LLP
360 East 2nd Street, Suite 300 | Los Angeles, CA 90012
On November 2, 2017, RISE celebrated our third anniversary with Amy Brantly, Founding Partner at Kesselman Brantly Stockinger LLP, and President of the Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles. We were honored to have Amy with us to share her insights and celebrate another successful year.
We have a number of exciting events in the works for 2018, including the following:
- April 11, 2018 | Communications Coaching | Dentons | Downtown Los Angeles
- May 2018 | In-House Counsel Panel Discussion | Polsinelli | Century City
- August 2018 | Judges Event | Kasdan LippSmith Weber Turner | Downtown Los Angeles
- October 2018 | 4th Anniversary Celebration | Venable | Century City
For more information, contact: Celeste Brecht Partner, Venable LLP at cmbrecht@Venable.com or +1 310.229.9974